Tyler Coles is a seasoned software developer based in Arizona, US (UTC-0700) with significant experience developing web applications, cloud server infrastructures, games—and lately—scientific computing.
Northern Arizona UniversityLead Software Systems Engineer — since January 2023
I lead software development for grant-funded research projects in disease modeling as well as mobile application development for community and mental health. Part of the School of Informatics, Computing, and Cyber Systems.
Ornithopter GamesFounder — since August 2014
Working as a solo developer I publish original titles, offer contracting services, and share lessons with the community through blog posts and talks.
American Academy of Family PhysiciansFreelance Audio Engineer — since August 2015
I edit the American Family Physician Podcast: a twice-monthly review of the top journal in primary care. Formerly engineered in-person recording sessions.
E-Line MediaTechnical Director — November 2020 - April 2021 DevOps Engineer — January 2018 - November 2020
I joined E-Line to broaden my experience working with a team making great games. Work included web front-end and custom game API development, build automation, server management, pitching in on QA, and integration work in Unity. I contributed to the early design phase and prototyping for unannounced titles. Since leaving in 2021, I have supported E-Line as an independent contractor for maintenance and additional projects.
EphibianSenior Software Engineer — 2013 - August 2014 Software Engineer — July 2007 - 2013
Full-stack web applications development in Java and PHP technology stacks, sales engineering, and client interfacing. Started a “Lunch and Learn” program.
University of ArizonaB.S. in Computer Engineering — May 2007, Tucson, AZ
Graduated Magna Cum Laude and Honors. Coursework in computer science, engineering mathematics, software design, and electronic circuit design.
Open Source Development
- Animation Viewer open-source frame animation tool, March 2015
- SimpleLatLng open-source code library for latitude and longitude calculations, October 2010
- The American Family Physician Podcast: Evidence-based resident education through broadcast of a national podcast poster presentation, University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix Scholarly Teaching Symposium, Phoenix, AZ, April 2018
- How to set up SQLite for Unity blog, javadocmd.com, November 2017
- ReactiveX for a reactive axe micro-talk, IGDA, September 2017
- Reactive programming in Clown blog, javadocmd.com, March 2017
- ReactiveX and Unity3D blog, javadocmd.com, July 2016
- Building Reactive Apps on JavaFX blog, javadocmd.com, June 2015
- LibGDX Dynamic Textures with Pixmap blog, javadocmd.com, January 2015
- LibGDX and the Ashley ECS blog, javadocmd.com, September 2014
- LibGDX, Gradle, and Scala blog, javadocmd.com, April 2014
- Let the Type System do the Work blog, javadocmd.com, April 2014
- LibGDX and the Actor System blog series, javadocmd.com, January 2014
- Imperial Arbitrator Twine/Web, Classwork on Interactive Fiction, May 2021
- Beyond Blue PC, E-Line Media, June 2020
- The Endless Mission PC, E-Line Media, Early Access, November 2019
- Buff Mountain iOS/Android, Ornithopter Games, May 2017
- Clown PC, Resist Jam, March 2017
- Wavebreakers PC, Global Game Jam, January 2017
- Troll Bridge PC, Adventure Jam, April 2017
- Republik Power & Light Web, Ludum Dare 31, December 2014
- Interstellar, Inc. Web, Ludum Dare 30, August 2014
- It Came from Beneath the Surface of the Sea! PC, Ludum Dare 29, April 2014
- Robogenesis PC, Ludum Dare 28, December 2013